I call it my "frosty the snow day". This glorious day contains ample portions of the most scrumptious self-love, covered in joy sprinkles... it's delicious!
This divine ritual started many years ago when I found myself completely exhausted before the holiday even started. I've always looked forward to this magical season and its beautiful acts of human kindness, the gathering of friends and family, and celebrations full of laughter and good cheer. The chill in the air is intoxicating, yummy cookies call my name, and OMG... can you believe the cheese plates!?!
But I was tired and grumpy. I even found myself questioning the cheerful lyrics "it's the most wonderful time of the year". Too much planning, acts of holiday madness and anxiety were blocking the magic. I wanted my holly jolly back. I wanted to dance to my favorite Christmas tunes and sing with conviction that "Yes! This really is the most wonderful time of the year"! It was obviously time to gift myself a little human kindness – I needed a day completely devoted to me. The idea is, just like a on a snow day – give yourself permission to take time off, stay at home, and to just love on you.
I know what you're thinking... you have so much to do that you couldn't possibly take time for this. But I am telling you – this day is a total recharge! You'll feel so amazing and will be ready to tell your friends to come on over, baby! You will have wings!
Start by gathering things that grab your attention like delicious foods, good books, pampering products you want to try, music and cozy PJs. Follow these tips and you'll quickly get your holiday groove back.
1. Something To Delight
- Your favorite sipping cocoa. I love Trader Joe's.
- Brioche bread. Whole foods makes one that is wonderful.
TIP: Add a little cayenne & cinnamon to the sipping cocoa, toast the brioche bread, sprinkle with cinnamon and sweeten with a little honey or raw sugar. This bread also makes the most delicious grilled cheese sandwiches. Sit in your favorite chair and slowly sip and dip while you daydream.
2. Something To Stir Your Soul
- I'm Passionate Bath Botanicals: Soaking in the color red and breathing in a gorgeous blend of roses awakens the senses and opens the mind and heart to better feel and express love and tenderness. As you enter the water, feel it enfold you in its warm embrace. Relax there while the color red flows gently around your skin, dissolving all that is tense and tight into a pool of contentment.
- Wild Child Hair & Scalp Rehabilitator: Winter hair begs for oil treatments. You will love how soft and smooth Wild Child makes your hair and how fresh and calm your scalp feels. Apply it to dry hair before wrapping your head in a warm towel fresh from the dryer.
- Brightening Face Mask: This bubbling face mask delivers a powerhouse of Vitamin C and instantly warms and brightens the skin. I love to use it all over my face and neck for total transformation!
- Skin Firming Mixology Blend: Coating your body in an indulgent blend of Lomi Lomi Luscious Body Oils and Radiance Enlivening Body Cream after your bath will turn your dry, winter skin into soft supple deliciousness. This blend feels like sunlight dancing over the skin surface.
TIP: Bathing is a form of relaxation and rest that has been used throughout the ages to restore the body's equilibrium and the accelerate its natural renewal process. To make bathing even more special, light a candle, turn on some music or float flower petals in the water.
3. Something To Inspire
- The book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World. Written by Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Carlton Adams. So good!
TIP: This is a good time to make another cup of sipping cocoa or if you are hungry go for the grilled cheese with a little tomato soup…YUMM!
4. Something To Impassion
- The Most Wonderful Gingerbread Cookies By Ginger Kitten: This recipe is to die for!
Every year since my daughter was little we would make holiday cookies and decorate them together. She is 30 now, but it's a tradition we both still love. This year, as part of MY day, she came over in the late afternoon in her PJs (this is required) and we baked an army of the most delicious gingerbread men. The smell of baking cookies and uninterrupted time with my girl was such an indulgence. It completely impassioned my soul and was the perfect ending to my perfect Frosty The Snow Day.
Cheers to indulging in a day that delights, inspires, stirs your soul and impassions your senses.
Happy Holidays to all!