There’s nothing quite as relaxing and grounding as giving our feet the love they deserve.
Our feet are the foundation for the body’s energy system, and yet are one of the most overlooked parts of the body. If you’re looking for more relaxation, improved sleep, and less tension, giving those feet and toes some much needed attention is a great place to start.
Did you know?
Foot bathing and foot reflexology are centuries-old rituals, and can be found in every ancient culture from ancient Rome to China. Archeologists have confirmed hot springs, mineral baths, and spas existed in nearly every ancient civilization.
Our guide to foot bathing
Foot bathing is a beautiful way to promote circulation, relaxation, and detoxification. The soles of our feet actually have the most amount of and largest pores in your body. They also lack oil secreting glands that act as a protective barrier, making them the perfect portals for absorption.
- Fill a container that will fit both your feet with warm water.
- Add your favorite soaking mixture to the water. We love sprinkling in some Ashes Reincarnation Cleansing Grains.
- Let your feet soak for about 10 minutes
- Rinse and dry your feet, and now it’s time for a self-love foot rub!
Foot reflexology for relaxation
There are over 7,000 nerve endings in each of your feet, making them one of the most responsive places on your body to help yourself feel better. One of the best ways to promote relaxation is through foot massage. This ritual uses reflex points on your feet, subtly impacting your vital organs and glands. Using a balm or oil (like our Every Little Thing Balm) makes this self-love ritual even more special.
Here is a simple foot reflexology massage you can do right before bed or whenever you need an extra dose of relaxation. Check out the chart below for specific pressure points.
- One at a time, relax your feet by pressing, squeezing, and lightly slapping your feet. End this step by pressing and holding your thumb on your solar plexus point for five to ten seconds.
- From the base of your heel to the tip of each toe, slowly inch and press your thumb upward.
- Try pressing on some of these reflex points with your thumb:
- Head/brain (top of each toe) promotes clarity and positive thinking.
- Neck/shoulders (ridge of toes) releases tension
- Chest/lungs (ball of foot) calms breathing.
- Solar plexus/diaphragm (under ball of foot in the center) encourages profound relaxation and peacefulness.
Finish with light strokes on the front, bottom, and sides of both feet in a feathery motion.
Although it’s not always possible to schedule a trip to the spa, you can integrate this pampering ritual into your routine whenever you need a self-love moment.