Right now we all have an opportunity to turn inward and focus on learning how to and practicing how to love ourselves. Socially, self-love is sometimes viewed as negative, self absorption, or even narcissism or vanity. But self love isn't about that at all. It is about being your own most intimate friend. It is about truly connecting with and caring for yourself, and there is nothing negative about that. Love is always a good thing, no matter who it is directed towards.
However, because of these unfounded negative social stigmas we are not taught how to love ourselves. This often leaves a void where the self love belongs and we try to fill this void with the consumptions of things we don't really need. Of course this will never work. The good news is, people are starting to wake up. You are reading this right now because you feel the collective pull towards self love. We are realizing how important it really is; how healing and comforting it can be.
Learning the value of loving yourself will in turn, increase your ability to love and show love to others. Love, wherever it is directed, is always connected. The love you have for yourself is reflected in the love you show to others.
Decide now not to compromise when it comes to self love and self care, especially right now. This is an unprecedented time in history. We are social distancing in an effort to slow the spread of a virus. We can feel lonely and stressed, or we can choose to direct our energy towards focusing on developing and practicing self love.
Here are just a few simple ways to start:
- Begin and end your day with a self-care ritual. Here are some suggestions, but feel free to create your own; Calming Evening Ritual, Dry Brushing Ritual, Soothing Night-time Foot Treatment, Intuitive Ritual for Acne Prone Skin.
- Even simple things like drinking enough water, afternoon tea, or filing your nails can take on whole new meaning if you focus on loving yourself when you do them. Take a moment during seemingly regular tasks and checkin with yourself and smile when you think of the good you are doing for yourself.
- Try an Earthing Ritual to help you feel more grounded. In stressful times, making an effort to connect with the earth is so healing and important.
- Eat or drink something comforting and healthy. We highly recommend our favorite Turmeric Beauty Milk Recipe. While you make it, focus on the idea of nourishing yourself physically. While you enjoy it, focus of being grateful for your body.
We are all sending you love and light. Be wild. Be well.
"The soul needs love as urgently as the body needs air.
In the warmth of love, the soul can be itself."
- John O'Donohue, Anam Cara